"Barleycorn Brides" is the eighteenth story in Fables.
Eddie Underfoot, a small fable, tries to steal some magic barley corn form the jar in the business office but is caught by Bufkin. Bigby tells Flycatcher the tale of how the Smalltown residents came to be. They sailed into a land of giants, also known as the Homelands but were like many fables forced to leave by The Adversary.
Due to there no being much women for the small fables, John Barleycorn and Commander Arrow go back to the Homelands to acquire the magical jar of barleycorns. A fable cricket named Pete leads them to a castle to find it. A magic bear helps them find it and temporally uses arrows wings so they can fly out of there. They return with the magical jar and grow enough women for everyone. After hearing the story Flycatcher tells Bigby that he he is not as mean as everyone says and has to get work to his work now.
- Bigby Wolf
- Snow White (Flashback)
- King Cole (Flashback)
- Thumbelina (Flashback)
- Eddie Underfoot
- Wuddershanks (Flashback)
- John Barleycorn (Flashback)
- Mother Birdie (Flashback)
- Commander Arrow (Flashback)
- Mustard Pot Pete (Flashback)
- Grandours (Flashback)
- First appearance of Eddie Underfoot.
- First appearance of Wuddershanks. (Flashback)
- First appearance of John Barleycorn. (Flashback)
- First appearance of Mother Birdie. (Flashback)
- First appearance of Commander Arrow. (Flashback)
- First appearance of Mustard Pot Pete. (Flashback)
- First appearance of Grandours. (Flashback)